According to a recent report, senior U.S. intelligence officials were completely in the dark and continue to be so. Other than a quite-obvious observation that providing arms to pro-Russian rebels in the Ukraine has created the conditions for such a tragedy, intelligence personnel don’t have much else.
What they do know:
- the kind of missile (SA-11 surface-to-air)
- the attack originated in rebel-held territory
What they don’t know:
- who fired the missile
- if Russia supplied this particular missle
- whether Russian operatives were involved at the time of the missle launch
- “we don’t know a name, we don’t know a rank and we’re not even 100 percent sure of a nationality”
- prior to the airliner being shot down, officials didn’t know rebels even possessed the SA-11 surface-to-air missiles
The shooting down of Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 killed 298 people. Modern intelligence failed to understand the potential and still cannot confirm any key details after the fact. The current Ukraine-Russia conflict has been ongoing since March. It seems inconceivable that the U.S. and its intelligence partners have such little information in such a volatile region.
Read more: CTV News